WILLIAM HENRY CLAYTON
|Burial register ID:||2159|
|Cause of death:||Unknown|
|Date of death:||23-Aug-1877|
|Date of burial:||24-Aug-1877|
William Clayton was an architect. He was born in Tasmania, the son of a farmer and merchant. In England he was articled to a prominent architect and in 1848 arrived back in Tasmania where he remained for the next 15 years, designing over 300 buildings.
He arrived in Dunedin in 1863 and joined William Mason under the style of Mason and Clayton. He designed the Colonial Museum (Wellington), All Saints’ Church, Edinburgh House, the Otago Provincial Government Buildings, and the Bank of New South Wales (Christchurch).
In 1869 he was appointed New Zealands’ first (and only) Colonial Architect and designed all manner of public buildings – custom houses, immigration and quarantine barracks, courthouses and prisons, schools, post offices, and hospitals and was also responsible for the design of the Government Buildings in Wellington (still the largest wooden building in the southern hemisphere), and Government House. He designed New Zealands first concrete house (his own home) and now part of Queen Margaret College.
The headstone was erected by his daughter, Mary Vogel, daughter of Julius Vogel.
Photograph of W H Clayton in 1860Source: Alexander Turnbull Library Reference: PAColl-0069 Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library New Zealand, Te Puna Matauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of image
|Surname||First names||Age||Date of death||Date of burial|
|CLAYTON||WILLIAM HENRY||55 Years||23-Aug-1877||24-Aug-1877|