|Burial register ID:||14001|
|Cause of death:||Unknown|
|Date of death:||27-Jul-1923|
|Date of burial:||29-Jul-1923|
William Dawson was born in Aberdeen, Scotland in January 1852, educated at Montrose and aquired the art of brewing under his fathers tuition in Durham, England. He came to Dunedin in the ship ‘James Nochol Fleming’ which arrived in Port Chalmers on July 2nd 1873. After his arrival he was employed in brewing for J.Wilson and Co. Then in 1876 he entered into partnership with James Speight and C.F. Greenslade, started the city brewery and on his death on 27 July 1923 was the last surviving member of the original partnership.
He always took a keen interest in community affairs, elected to the City Council in 1885, as Mayor in 1887 and again in 1892. In 1890 he was elected, as member for Dunedin suburbs to the House of Representatives. He was also associated with many otherpublic activities. As memberof the Hospital Board, representitive for Dunedin on the Otago Harbour board, twice president and life director of the Caledonian Society. A generous Patron and President of the New Zealand Bowling Association and the Kaikorai Band.
He had important business interests apart from his connection with J. Speight and Co. and was the founder of the large jewellery firm of Dawson’s Ltd. He assisted many local institutions and gifted the extra monies needed to build the Otago Medical School.
|Surname||First names||Age||Date of death||Date of burial|
|DAWSON||MARY ANN||78 Years||14-Mar-1923||16-Mar-1923|
|LIVINGSTON||MARGARET BAIRD||84 Years||26-Dec-1927||28-Dec-1927|